Thursday, June 24, 2010

Final Thoughts on Freaks and Geeks

The last novel we studies in class was A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'engle. I was a bit surprised that so many of the literature theories and concepts we discussed we applicable to a children's novel. I think taking a course in children's literature would be really neat. I found the representation of femininity and womanhood in the novel particularly interesting. Our instructor referenced a paper titled Finding a Happy Medium: The Design for Womanhood in A Wrinkle in Time by Katherine Schneebaum, which I read over the weekend and found to be pretty controversial. Schneebaum argues that "The final message is that a girl becomes a woman only when she voluntarily takes on the role of moral leader and keeper of love, subordinating her other interests and capabilities to this one." I don't think that Meg set aside her other interests and the traits that made her unique aside when she became Charles Wallace's saviour. I'm also having a hard time understanding how this "moral saviour" concept is a characteristic of femininity. Yes, woman are traditionally seen as good and sweet and even submissive. But the act of saving someone through or in the name of love is, in my opinion, actually a very courageous and bold action. Love is not at all passive, as Schneebaum suggests. Love is a verb and to act because of love can be risky and even dangerous, as seen in A Wrinkle In Time.

- - -

Today we finished with a discussion of contemporary Freaks and Geeks. One such example, is Michael Jackson as a Celebrity Freak. I am kind of in awe with the celebrity he has created for himself. So many celebrities seem to be moreso "victimized" by their fame - they seek attention of any kind, but take little control over how exactly they want their image to be perceived. I found it fascinating to learn today that when MJ was just breaking out of the Jackson 5 and starting his solo career, he referred to PT Barnum's philosophies as Bible. Michael Jackson WANTED to become the greatest living Freakshow ever. RIP MJ

- - -

I have thoroughly enjoyed our Freaks and Geeks course - I was a bit apprehensive at first, but this short semester has turned out to be very eye-opening. The exposure has given me a new appreciation for ideas, lit theories and genres that I had never before considered. That's one thing I love about university undergrad - you have the opportunity to take courses in so many different disciplines. Even if you don't love a new subject, learning more about it will at least allow you to gain an appreciation for what others find so fascinating. I did love this course though, I can say I've been inspired to do more literature studies.

Thanks for a great semester, Veronique :-)

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome.

    I was also fascinated by the fact that MJ gave his manager a copy of Barnum's theories and philosophies and called it his Bible. Absolutely intended to fabricate his "freakishness" as a celebrity.

    ReplyDelete